My name is Erika Nix. I was born in Walker County, Alabama and graduated high school at Cordova High in May 2012. I currently reside in Bremen, Alabama with my husband, Mason, my 3 dogs, Lil Bit, Daisy, and Ayda, and my hedgehog, Ella. My family and animals have always been a major aspect of my life. As a child I was always found in the yard with the neighbor’s dog or a stray animal that may have wondered up. I continue this on into my life now, as I use my time to rescue stray animal and find new homes as often as I can. My grandfather would take me fishing and the fish we caught would be brought back to shore and placed in a small swimming pool for me to interact with. My final responsibility was the release the fish back into the river.

I am currently employed with Walker Baptist Medical Center in Jasper, Alabama. I enjoy my job as a nursing technician because I feel like I make a difference in many people’s lives. As a nursing technician I perform many clerical duties, which include answering phones, creating paper charts, calling physicians for patient consults, making appointments, and following up with patients after discharge. My responsibilities also include total direct patient care as I must ensure patients are fed, clean, and monitor for all relevant medical changes pertaining to their health. I am also one of two technicians trained to monitor telemetry units for the entire hospital; this responsibility includes interpreting a patient heart rhythm for ectopy and changes. Walker Baptist has become a second home for me and I take great pride in my contribution there.

Fall 2015 marks the beginning of my journey with Wallace State. Currently, I am enrolled in my basic educational courses, so I am able to focus my energy on courses that have a similar teaching style. Once I complete my required courses I intend to complete the Clinical Laboratory Technician program with Wallace State.

Share This:    Delicious Bookmark   Digg Bookmark   Diigo Bookmark   Facebook Bookmark   LinkedIn Bookmark   MySpace Bookmark   StumbleUpon Bookmark   Twitter Bookmark